Learn to transform everyday challenges into experiences of openness and wisdom—by engaging with the practices of meditation, compassionate presence, and skillful communication.
Contemplative Psychology is appropriate for both personal and professional development. It is open to all.
This workshop will focus on making emotions work for us instead of against us. Sometimes, no matter how much meditation we have done, we are still haunted by familiar and persistent negative emotions. We may experience negative emotions such as fear, anger, lethargy, as obstacles, and for good reason. In contemplative psychology, negative emotions, if related to directly, have at their essence tremendous wisdom.
What you can expect during the program
• Meditation training and practice
• Compassion training
• Cultivation of skills in relating to others
• Group experiential exercises
After this workshop, participants will walk away with
• A sound introduction to the general principles of contemplative psychology
• An understanding of what is referred to as intrinsic health
• An experience of deep, personal exchange
• An introduction to compassion training
• A taste of the nature of experiential work in contemplative psychology
This program introduces you to Contemplative Psychology as taught by Karuna Training. It is a stand-alone class, with no prerequisites.
INTRODUCTION TO CONTEMPLATIVE PSYCHOLOGY SAMPLE SCHEDULE (Weekend Format)
Registration and Tea
History and introduction to CP
Guided Meditation instruction
Introduction to Body Speech and Mind
Brown bag lunch with the group
Introduction to Compassionate Exchange
Discussion Circle and Closing
Overview of Karuna Training
Tea and Snack
Body Speech and Mind Presentation
INTRODUCTION TO CONTEMPLATIVE PSYCHOLOGY LEARNING OBJECTIVES
- Introduction to mindfulness-awareness practice in the context of working with oneself and how it applies to
working with others.
- Introduction to Compassionate Exchange as a means of trusting wisdom in relationships.
- Explore compassion in terms of developing confidence in basic sanity.
- Introduction to the skillful means of Body, Speech and Mind group, both in application to personal process,
as well as to be able to offer BSM groups to others.
- Introduction to the view of Maitri Space Awareness practice.